Cooking plays an indispensable role in every single aspect of one’s lives including survival, profession, habits and interests. Barely does a house not possess a stove. It seems the simplest daily activity; however, few of housewives exactly know how to take the best advantage of the kitchen without energy consumption. By adapting cooking habits, properly using existing appliances as well as buying new substitute equipment, including best ceramic cookware, they are ableto put their cooking potentials to the maximum along with saving the money.
This method is known as Green Cooking, whose main purpose is to reduce waste amount and consume less energy. Additionally, there can be little doubt that the money afforded for the bills is much more reasonable owing to Green Cooking.
- So how to cook green?
- How to save energy?
- How to minimize energy waste?
Those are the pointed questions raising when mentioning this eco-friendly method. Here are numbers of recommendations we would like to put forward, with an aim to summarize an overall review.
- Are you a professional cook? Are you a woman who always takes care of preparing family’s meals? Are you a person making an attempt to learn to cook? Do you have passion for baking? Are you too busy to cook? Do you enjoy eating at restaurants or at home? There is a tremendous diversity of stoves designed for particular purposes, including gas, electric, standard, retro, commercial, cooktop, range top or full stove. Each above question apparently enables you to restrict the scale of different stoves available, which assists you in clarifying the type you need. If you are living in an extended family, the full size ovens are advisable. On the other hand, if you are living in nuclear family, there is no use in purchasing such a huge stove. The smaller the stove is, the less energy consumed during cooking time is.
- Make sure to clean the surrounding of the kitchen, which will enhance the efficiency of homemakers’ preparation. A place full of dirt and unwashed items is not an ideal one for cooking.
- Save the residual heat. Homeowners are encouraged to turn off the oven for just a few minutes before the dish being cooked completely. The high temperature from the residual heat is effective enough to finish the cooking.
- For the first time, buyers are reluctant to opt for an energy-efficient appliance as they are more expensive. But while thinking of longterm benefits related to energy consumption and a green cooking style, the initial cost is worth paying. If you are in trouble with financial issues, you can gradually replace the old ovens with energy-efficient ones. To check whether the product is what you looking for, locate Energy Star symbol that is an international standard feature.
- Electric stove tops are increasingly popular for its convenience. However, it is only convenient when the pan covers the heating part and fits the burner. In this situation, pans that are designed with flat bottoms are suggested. In fact, a six inch pan on an eight inch element consumes up to almost a half of heat output. Also, the flame should be in its fullest condition to avoid any energy waste.
- Do not preheat the appliance. The exception only appears when cooking either bread or pastry. A dish that requires more than 60 minutes to finish ought to be put in a cold oven.
- Another rule of Green Cooking is no peeking. Each time opening the oven door means indirectly reducing the internal temperature by nearly a quarter. As I have mentioned before, clean the door to gain better vision of things happening inside and to totally control the food. Housewives need to pay more attention to the seal on oven door with a view to guaranteeing the cooking process.
- Provide equal rooms for each dish at different rack levels to receive adequate air flow. As a chef, you must have known that the better the air flows, the more productively the oven works. Remember to rearrange racks and shelves before using the oven. If do it after the cooking, there is a possibility that you may seriously injure yourself.
- Piggybacking should be taken into consideration. It is a great idea for multitasking cooking if you are in a hurry. Not only does it supply same heat source to few chores but it also retains heat for other process. For instance, a Chinese steamer is likely to meet demands for the mission.
- Cookware must be put an emphasis on. Glass and ceramic cookware work much more conclusively than the way metal does. You can buy best ceramic cookware in every supermarket in the neighborhood.
- To cut down the time spent on warming frozen foods, householders should gradually defrost them in the counter or microwave, which saves a considerable proportion of energy.
- A lid on the pan enhances water boiling and speeds up the process. Women in the house usually boils more water than the actual needed amount, in case they lack of water. It is not economical; otherwise, more energy is used at that time.
- Microwave is highly recommended whenever possible as it consumes at around one-fifth to a half as much energy as traditional ones do. It works with maximum performances when cooking small portions as well as thawing frozen foods. Some might have known how to appropriately take advantage of the microwave, neither do others. Put the dish on the outer edges of rotating trays instead of laying in the center, enabling the food receiving and interacting more with waves. Another tip to write down is that larger areas of the surface means less time for cooking it. Take the following as an example. Thin slices of tomato require less heat than cubed sections, the taste is also favourable.
- Exploit pressure cookers. They are recently equipped with further functions that save roughly 50-75%, compared to the common appliances.
- Although induction cook tops use the same gas amount, they are superior on the market for heating and cooking food so fast and effectively.
- Electric kettles are accessible to citizens and are a helpful assistant in boiling waters and completely abandoning bacteria. What is more, they are listed in Green Cooking method, so that they definitely save energy.
- Slowly reduce the temperature on the stove once water starts to boil.
- If you want to bake favorite cookies, give the first priority to toaster ovens.
- Slow cookers, commonly called crockpots, may annoy those who are busy, but they are beneficial for energy consumption strategy.
- Aside from slow cookers, convection ovens are environmentalists’ preferable equipment in the kitchen. The air is heated before getting involved in a fan circulation so that no energy is wasted.
- It is essential to purchase electric skillets. Their functions are enormous, ranging from steam, fry, saute, stew, bake all the way up to roasting a wide degree of food types.
- Last but not least, cleaning is a noteworthy part that can make a contribution to the general energy saving. Tableware for cooking needs immersing in cold water with a limited amount of soap, thereby lengthening its life span.
In conclusion, those are the main measures accounting for how homeowners can save the energy and enjoy healthful mealtime.