Before doing anything, you need to know that there is no such thing as an absolute solution for mosquito. It is no guarantee to clear them all; however, you will be able to reduce their numbers and the chance that you got bitten.
There is a combination of methods that you can use to achieve that. Those methods can be from eliminating of breeding sites of mosquito, and tackling with adult mosquito using spray or traps.
In order to do it effectively, you should inspect where mosquito most live around your house. Let’s go outside and start to inspect.
Check if your back yard is being left as a good mosquito breeding ground.
You should first check your windows and doors to ensure that mosquitoes cannot get into your house via those gaps between edges. Your windows should be furnished with a tightly fit screen, and check them for any holes and cuts.
Standing water should not be allowed around the outside of the house, check and clear them off in not-so obvious places and in obvious places as well. Mosquitoes lay eggs in stagnant water. It is important that you should not hold water for a long time or it will be a perfect place for mosquitoes to breed.
You should look for even the smallest places female mosquitoes can use as little as an inch of water to lay their eggs. The places you should look at are like: yard equipment, tree holes, tarps, puddles, rain gutter, toys or birdbath.
After all the standing water places are taken care of, you now can move on to tackle the rest environment of mosquitoes. They like moist and warm environment during the day, therefore, it is a good idea to take care of you grass and bushes, they should be mourned and trimmed. Avoid over-watering your plants and grass.
How to naturally control mosquitoes around the house?
The next thing that you want to do is to add some organic mosquito control methods to your yard.
Citrosa is called “mosquito plant” as it can effectively repel mosquitoes when disturbed. If you leave your citrosa undisturbed, their affect on mosquito control is almost equal to zero, but their leaves can effectively repel mosquitoes with its citronella oil if they are crushed. You can plant other trees which have the same mosquito repellent character like catnip, citronella grass, rosemary and lemon thyme.
If there is a decorative pond in your garden, you should think about gambusia fish to avoid turning the pond into mosquito breeding sites. Gambusia will help to keep the water from mosquito larvae. There is no care required for this fish. You can have up to 100 fish for a small pond to keep it free from mosquito.
You might be able to get them for free from local mosquito control agents, however, they will require you to keep the fish in a standing water where there is no connect to other water source, so they will not harm other small/ young fish.
If there is no pond in your garden, you might consider installing one. The pond can be a good spot to draw dragonflies as their main diet is mosquitoes and mosquito larvae. The good pond to attract dragonflies is one with direct sunlight but should not be windy. The pond should be shallow at one end and deeper at the other end. That will create a good environment for nymphs to grow. It is not a bad idea to grow some aquatic plants as well.
Using mosquito spray and other mosquito control methods
- To control mosquitoes, sometimes you have to use different methods, insecticide is one of them. You can try Mosquito Bits to control the mosquito larvae around standing water. The product has the most effective larvae insecticide, bacillus bacteria. Other way to deal with the larvae is to keep them from breathing with larvae oil.
- Mosquito spray and foggers are effective to kill adult mosquitoes.
- Mosquitoes will be killed when in contact with the insecticide. The foggers are used to release heated insecticide into the air in small amount at a time. The chemical will wear off after a few hours. For longer lasting effect, you can use mosquito spray.
- You can use the spray to spray all surfaces from walls of the house, bushes, grass, wooden fences and trees. The chemical will attack mosquito’s nervous systems to kill them when contacted.
- There are different species of mosquitoes and each species can only be controlled using different tricks. Therefore, it is quite expected that there are still some mosquitoes even after all the methods that you come up with above.
- You should think of adding some extra layer of protection, for example, using yellow light instead of while light to attract less insects. You can then lay trap at the place you usually hang out around the house.