There are many air compressor reviews out there, yet do you know that is the best kept secret to select the best air compressor for you? Today, we will reveal such secrets, read on and enjoy.
Terminology related compressed air – Basic understanding
It is always best to obtain some basic knowledge about things that you want to purchase before you make any decision. Such knowledge also help you in your selection process and increase your chance to choose the best air compressor that most suits your needs. You will also find it easier to communicate your need of an air compressor to any salesperson.
- International Organization for Standardization (ISO): This is the organization which proposes the standard quality for air compressors; they are also the largest publisher and developer for standards.
- Pounds per Square Inch Gauge (PSIG): this is the unit to measure pressure over one square inch
- Standard Cubic Feet per Minute (SCFM): the term used to measure the air flow. It is necessary for you to know your equipment will need how much SCFM to operate.
- Duty cycle: This term of a machine means the period of time that a machine can operate before it needs a break, this can be in form of percentage (percentage of time it can be used). For screw air compressors and reciprocating compressor, duty cycle is normally 100% and 75%, respectively. A reciprocating compressor will need to rest 15 minutes if it operates for 45 minutes.
Requirements regarding electricity: phase, voltage and ampere: it is recommended that you have a qualified electrician look at the requirements regarding electricity which need to operate the air compressor, to see if it is suitable in your location.
Compressor location: This will show the required location where to put your compressor, including ventilation, noise level requirements and space between your air compressor and other equipments.
Do research for critical information:
You should do so research on critical information about air compressor and using an air compressor. One place that we normally miss is the specifications from manufacturer. You should have enough information to answer questions that we will list below:
What is the required CFM or SCFM (air flow) to run all the equipment?
Answering this question will help you to decide on the horsepower for the machine and also to access the power requirements to operate the air compressor.
The second question is about the required pressure (PSI or PSIG) to run all other equipment.
It is worthy noting that PSI requirements for other related tools should not exceed the discharge pressure from your compressor. This is to ensure that all your equipment can be provided with enough air from your air compressor.
What is the ISO standards needed?
Either it is breathing air or oil free air? These standards can be met with lubricated or oil-free compressors and filtration equipment. This is helpful to consider between the cost and related risk when you select a lubricated or and oil-free compressor.
How to classify your air?
What are the requirement regarding electricity and power? You should know what is available at your location first before picking an air compressor. If it is also necessary assessment to see if an upgrade is need for your electrical system.
Decide on your compressor specification using the above data and knowledge
Now it is time for you to gather all the above information about air compressor and go to a store to pick up your air compressor. With such knowledge, you will find it much easier to decide on your desired air compressor. There are two types of air compressors for you to choose from, they are Rotary Screw Compressors and Reciprocating Compressors.
The variety of air compressors is huge for you to choose from and there are many things to think about when you want to choose the air compressor system that most suit what you want. The main point is that the air compressor should be cost effective, easy to use and maintain, and reliable. You should always do the following:
- Know what you need
- Obtain necessary information about air compressors and check the electrical requirements.
- Talk to suitable distributor and select your best air compressor.
I’m Aaron J. Brooker, a member of airtoolresource team, who thoroughly enjoys researching about Air compressor products. I hope my reviews can help you to choose the right products fit with your needs.